Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tristine, Tristine, my little child of sadness

Listen to the mustn't, child,
listen to the don'ts
listen to the shouldn'ts
the impossibles, the won'ts
listen to the never haves
then listen close to me -
Anything can happen, child,
Anything can be.
Shel Silverstein from Where the Sidewalk Ends

September 8, 1986

While darning socks tonight, I took a break and read the diary handout I got in English today. I noticed it was written by a Tristine Somebody. Tristine, Tristine, my little child of sadness. How you have grown. You once were a dark cloud for me, caused the breakup of my marriage for awhile over what? a small baby, my little Tristine. Ianthe, you are so lovely and good and I will always love you - I have always defended you from harm - protected you from expulsion from my womb. I knew you would be wonderful. No matter what pain you have brought into my life, I will always remember your quiet eyes the day you were born. You are the only reason I am still alive.

I have longed a while to see you,
and now I see you the fairest thing ever a woman bore.
In sadness came I hither,
In sadness did I bring forth,
And in sadness has your feast day gone.
And as by sadness you came into the world,
your name shall be called Tristan;
that is the child of sadness.
Tristan and Iseult

No comments:

Post a Comment